Powered By Blogger

28 September 2010

Back to a routine!!

I am a creature of habit...I think I mentioned that in my last post!! Thankfully, I started work yesterday after a 2 1/2 month hiatus and am glad. I'm tired, but glad. I am blessed with work!! Life is good and I am glad to be productful again. I was getting bored at home and glad to be busy again. Don't get me wrong, I love to stay home and take care of my fam, but there is only sooo much I can do without having a schedule of 'something' to keep me sane.

The kids are older, the house can only be so clean and the errands don't take that much anymore!! I am glad to spend my days helping others!! It occurred to me the other day just how much the kids are self-sufficient! They cook, clean (sometimes), get themselves off for the day with minimal prompting and showered at night!! I have little to do with the logistics of their lives, but have much to do with guidance.

The transition is strange as I am so use to being the 'go-to' mom. "Mom, can you take me....?" Mom, can you make me something to eat?" "Mom, I need clothes washed." "Mom, can you take me to the park?" I am no longer needed for those minuscule tasks anymore, but rather to just hang out with. They like to make me something to eat, wash their own clothes (I guess it makes them feel grown up). They let me know where they are going and when they will be home!! I like it. I never did miss the diaper bag, the warming bottles, teething, crying, tantrums (although they sometimes still throw them), poopy diapers, always hungry, daycare day in and day out!!! I love having older kids. It suits me. I knew I would be better at being a mom to older children than to little ones. Don't worry...I loved every minute of it, but this is great too!

Having wrote all that, the routine is falling into place. Lunches packed the night before. Showers on time. Bags ready to head out the door. Glasses are misplaced nor are keys!! Breakfast is eaten and I didn't make it.... I can take my time getting myself ready without just a quick run through the shower and out the door with taking care of the kid's needs in between. There is actually some time for ME!! It's a nice routine.

I suppose the transition to empty nest will be difficult. I know it will. I am use to a certain level of chaos, even if the kids are self-sufficient. It will be great having Matt all to my own since we never started out as a couple by ourselves. We were a ready-made family and it was great, but it will be nice to have some 'alone' time. Less cooking, laundry, groceries, messes, and trips to kid events. Time to relax, travel, save money, downsize to a single-level house, and so on.

The routine will change several times before this is all said and done with and I am looking forward to every minute of it!! Change is good, but routine is a saving grace!!

0 comments: